I read 7 books this month! And for the first time, I tracked my reading by pages per day in my Bullet Journal. I read 2903 pages for an average of 93 pages per day! Do you track your pages read?
- The Shark Club: review here! 4/5 stars.
- City of Girls by Elizabeth Gilbert: I LOVED this novel of 1940’s New York City! Our main character Vivian takes on a job at her aunt’s low-budget theatre after dropping out of college. She meets a lively cast of characters at the Lily Playhouse and this novel is all written as Vivian looks back on her past and how she learned what life was all about. 4/5 stars.
- The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt: I LOVED the first 70% of the book. The last 30% didn’t even need to exist for me. Donna Tartt is a phenomenal writer, and truly I think that she needed a better editor for this novel. Just way too long for the story it told. The movie comes out later in September, and I hope it does a better job of editing. Trailer here. 3/5 stars.
- Small Animals – Parenthood in the Age of Fear by Kim Brooks: Review here. 4.5/5 stars.
- The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren: This was my first read from this instagram famous author duo, and it didn’t disappoint! Olive is her sister’s maid of honor, and her groom’s brother, Ethan, really doesn’t like Olive. However, Ethan and Olive are the only two people at the wedding who don’t get food poisoning, and the newlyweds insist they take their all-expenses paid honeymoon to Hawaii. Hijinks & romance ensue. 4/5 stars.
- The Reckless Oath We Made by Bryn Greenwood: Review here. 5/5 stars!
- The Great Believers by Rebecca Makkai: This was an absolutely beautifully written novel about the AIDS crisis in late 1980’s Chicago and a mother’s love in 2015. Such amazing characters that were heartbreaking to read about, but you couldn’t help but love. 5/5 stars.
What was the best book YOU read this month?